Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Plan

So, my plan is very simple. For

1. Shakespeare Literacy
        a. Breadth- I intend to read 7 plays, because I like the number 7. I'll read Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, Merchant of Venice, Richard III, maybe Winter's Tale, and maybe Henry V.
        b. Depth- watch 3 different versions of a play, and do some analysis too. I'm thinking about maybe focusing on Much Ado About Nothing (as it's one of my favourites, and my blog's named after it) or Richard III (since looking at things like historical context would be so fun to look into for this one).
        c. Performance- I plan on seeing at least a summary clip of all the plays I read, and to watch long versions of more than one, and of various sorts of performances.
        d. Legacy- I'll keep my eye out for references to Shakespeare, and occasionally search them out.

2. Analyze Shakespeare Critically
        a. Textual Analysis- I'll try and point out some textual analysis of each play I read.
        b. Contextual analysis- I expect to go into this mostly with Richard III, but I'll make sure to make more than two posts going into context.
        c. Application of literary theories- I know there are a lot of these, and though I'm not particularly fond of them, I'll be sure to look up how others have applied these theories and I'll report on my reactions.
        d. Analysis of digital mediations- I guess this means that I need to look into youtube movies of the plays. Really, I think I'll just comment on what my classmates find. So far there's been a lot of interesting adaptations showing up on the other blogs which I've enjoyed.

3. Engage Shakespeare Creatively
        a. Performance- I'll deal with this one later, though I think that this would be preferable in a group.
        b. Literary Imitation- I'd like to borrow some of Shakespeare's characters for my Creative Writing class somehow. I might also try and write a sonnet. (Though sonnets are really hard, I have a hard time with iambic pentameter.)
       
4. Share Shakespeare Meaningfully
        a. Formal Writing- Some of my posts will, I suppose, be more formal, researched, and developed.
        b. Informal Writing- The more common blog posts.
        c. Connecting- I'll be commenting on the other blogs, and making random comments to my roommates...